Churches and Chapels
When James Horne first came to Normandy in about 1819 there was no official
place of worship in what was then a small hamlet. On Sundays, churchgoers
were obliged to journey to their church, chapel or meeting house in Ash,
Pirbright, Wanborough or Worplesdon Parish. However, James's presence in
Normandy and his religious fervour during that century had not only a profound
influence on the people of this area but also on the building of church
By the end of that century there were four formal places of worship established
for the people of Normandy. They were, the Congregational Chapel at Willey
Green built in 1825, a small chapel in Glaziers Lane built in 1850, St.
Mark's Church Wyke consecrated in 1847 and the Methodist Wesleyan Chapel
built at Normandy crossroads in 1886, replacing the small chapel. Following
the consecration of St. Mark's Church, its churchyard became the final resting-place
of most parishioners for all denominations until crematorium were opened
to the public. The burial record for James Horne leads one to believe that
his grave, now unmarked, is in the corner of the churchyard looking towards
The Church in the Wilderness
- Memorials of James Horne, for fifty years a Wesleyan local preacher
in Surrey with some particulars of the rise of the Methodism in and around
Guildford. This 21-page booklet was written in 1871.
- "The Church in the Wilderness"
Methodism in Normandy
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials of those from Normandy but ouside of
- St Peter's, Ash
St Mary the Virgin, Worplesdon
St John the Baptist, Puttenham
St Michael's, Puttenham
St Lawrence, Seale
St Alban's, Wood Street
St. Michael's, Aldershot
Worplesdon Baptisms, Marriages and
at St Mary the Virgin, Worplesdon
Up until the early 1960s, Willey Green, New Cut and Bailes Lane,
were part of the Parish of Worplesdon, so are listed as Worplesdon Baptisms
and Worplesdon Burials. Note some Baptisms at St Mary the Virgin, Worplesdon
are listed in the main Baptisms list.
Postscript: Christopher John Pettitt of Normandy Historians transcribed
these extracts in 2010 to help researchers of family history for information
about past family connections with Normandy. The spelling of names has
been copied from the original registers and it is noted the there may be
errors in these. It is also possible that transcription errors have been
introduced in the preparation of these extracts. Anyone researching a particular
family or property should consult the original registers to verify the
details and to find additional information.
Marriages and Burials
Marriages and Burials
Worplesdon Friends Burials (1666
The Society of Friends, more commonly referred to as Quakers, flourished
in this area (Guildford Worplesdon Godalming), between the
early 17th Century and towards the end of the 18th Century. There was very
much of an emphasis of presence at Perry Hill Worplesdon, what is now Fairlands
and Wood Street Village. A prominent Quaker was Stephen Smith who resided
at Whites Farm, Fairlands and there held Friends Meetings. It was he who
was persuaded by George Fox, the credited Founder of The Society of Friends,
to donate a nearby farm (now more familiarly known as Fairlands Farm),
for a Friends Burial Ground. It is thought that the most probable site
of the burial ground is beneath the present A323 dual carriageway somewhere
near its junction with Holly Lane, Worplesdon.
The reader is best directed to local history publications: Worplesdon
Old and New c. 1967, Wood Street the growth of a Village
1988 and Worplesdon 2000 together with A Pioneer Family
by Gladys Scott Thomson.
Postscript: This list is an updated, corrected version of the
original (not a copy), extracted from records at Surrey History Centre,
Woking by C. J. Pettitt and transcribed by Ros Clements. The Burial Records
indicate that there were a total of 214 burials but only 184 names are
listed. The names are listed here in alphabetical order for the convenience
of family history researchers.
- Wikipedia links
- Religious Society of Friends (Or Quakers)
- Back to Index
- © Copyright by Normandy Historians
All Rights Reserved.