Normandy Historians - Home Page
Normandy War Memorial
1914 - 1919
Lieutenant P. B. Henriques, K.R.R.C. (more)
Lieutenant R. C. Stedman, East Surrey Regiment (more)
Private F. C. Norman, East Surrey Regiment
Lance Corporal T. M. Blaber, M.G.C. (more)
Private H. J. Bonham, Hants Regiment
Private J. Hawthorn, Hants Regiment
Private W. Hawthorn, Hants Regiment
Lance Corporal R. A. Roberts, Royal Sussex Regiment (more)
Private F. Lipscombe, Royal Sussex Regiment
Private W. Boxall, Dublin Fusiliers
Private C. Boxall, King Liverpool Regiment
Private E. Butler, London Regiment
Bombardier J. South, R.F.A.
Gunner G. E. Burleigh, M.M. R.F.A.
Gunner R. G. Marshall R.F.A.
Rifleman F. J. Hobbs, Rifle Brigade (more)
Private A. Heath, Middlesex Regiment
Private F. Lovell, Essex Regiment
Private F. Herbert, Royal Berks Regiment (more)
Sergeant A. Collyer
Lance Corporal D. Revell
Private G. Cawson
Private J. A. Cawson
Private A. Cooper
Private W. Deedman
Private W. Avenell
Private G. Wooley
Private A. Goddard (more)
Private A. Randall
Private A. Poulter
Private J. Buckmaster
F. Collyer, H.M.S. Queen Mary (more)
H. Collyer, H.M.S. Cheerful (more)
W. Taylor, H.M.S. Bulwark (more)
F. Trussler, H.M.S. Good Hope (more)

1939 - 1945
D. F. Butler, Queens Royal Regiment
C. Holloway, Queens Royal Regiment
R. Hammond, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (more)
J. C. Jacobs, Hampshire Regiment
F. Cooper, Hampshire Regiment
J. Douglas, R.A.O.C.
J. W. Andrews, R.N.
C. Rayward, R.N. (more)
W. L. Jeffery, R.A.
A. Coleman, R.A.
W. Barr, R.A.
W. J. Quest, R.A.
G. F. Quinnell, Coldstream Guards
H. Woodward, Grenadier Guards
A. R. D. Whapshott, R.A.M.C. (more)
P. Litchfield
F. Rees (more)
R. Moore
D. Sinclair
R. Williams
E. Knox (more)
D. Woods (more)
C. Horne

CWGC Certificates Links for names on the Normandy War Memorial to copies of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) Certificates.

The names of the fallen on War Memorials generate a great deal of enquiries from most researchers of Family History. It was with pleasure, therefore, that in 1996 we accepted an offer from Peter Southwell of Ash to undertake a piece of unique research into the names on the Normandy War Memorial as part of his Open University course on Family and Local History for he had lived the first 28 years of his life here in Normandy

His completed work was deposited with the Society in October 2000 containing the history of all but 12 names. Keith Lamont, also of Ash and one of our members took over the baton of research successfully reducing the list of untraced histories. Recently, the list has been reduced by locating another of the fallen (for whom this commemorative scroll is a tribute), thanks to information received from a corresponding member of the Society now resident in Canada but who when a young girl lived here in Normandy.

Click for an enlargement
Debt of Honour Scroll
Click on photo to see an enlargement

According to a report in the Surrey Advertiser of the 22nd of December 1923

The anniversary service to commemorate the unveiling of the War Memorial was held on Sunday last. Ex-servicemen to the number of 86 organised by Mr W Elliott and led by Colonel Marsh assembled at Willey Green at 2.15pm and marched to the memorial accompanied by the Guildford Military Band. A short service was conducted by the Reverend F N Pickford, after which buglers played “The Last Post” and “Reveille”. The assembly then proceeded to St. Mark’s Church for a separate service of remembrance and a fine sermon preached by the Reverend W. Peverly Dudd, Wesleyan Chaplain to the Forces at Aldershot. The offertory being divided among the war charities. The 1st Normandy Scouts and Guides paraded at the memorial under their respective officers.

Lease of land for War Memorial
Lease of land for War Memorial
This document was for the lease of land on which the Normandy War Memorial stands. The Indenture, dated 24 May 1921, was made between His Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the War Department (who was then Winston Churchill) and Ash Winston Churchill.Parish Council. It is believed the document was signed by Winston Churchill. In 1876 the War Department acquired the Manor of Cleygate, (approximately 1,200 acres), which included Normandy Common and this small area of land, and in so doing had presumably become "Lord of the Manor of Cleygate".
In 1945 Ash Parish Council was re-named Ash and Normandy Parish Council and in 1953 Normandy Common, including the War Memorial land was conveyed by the War Department to the Ash and Normandy Parish Council. The lease was, therefore, rescinded.
Normandy Common is owned now by Normandy Parish Council formed in 1955 out of the former Ash and Normandy Parish.
Click for an enlargement
Map from lease of land for War Memorial
Click on photo to see an enlargement

Normandy At War
World War I World War II
Remembrance CWGC Certificates

Photos of War Memorial

  Download list of names as PDF file

Home Page
Back to Index
© Copyright by Normandy Historians All Rights Reserved.