- St. Mark's
- Wyke, Normandy
- Burials in the Old Churchyard
- Gravestones Photos
| THE PIRBRIGHT TOMB|
For a full history see
The Pirbright Tomb
in Antiquities and Peculiarities of Normandy
| CONSTANCE VON ALVENSLEBEN, born 28th April 1875, died 10th October
| BARON WERNER VON ALVENSLEBEN, born 27th July 1912, died 1st July
| PRINCESS JOHN ZU LOEWENSTEIN, nee Henriette Jost, born 16th January
1908, died 15th September 1986.|
| PRINCE LEOPOLD LOEWENSTEIN, born 13th March 1903, died 6th September
- DIANE MARIA FAITH, Princess of Loewenstein Wertheim, born 18th
December 1921, died 1st April 1967. Died, as she lived, in the Radiance
of the Spirit.
- "In the centre are the Arms of Lord Pirbright surrounded by a
laurel garland and separated from the inscriptions by festooned ribbands
- West End of Top
- The Right Honourable, Henry, Baron Pirbright of Pirbright in
the County of Surrey, PC, DL, JP, FRS, etc., etc. Born 20th October 1840.
Died 9th January 1903.
- East End of Top
- Sarah, wife of Henry, Baron Pirbright of Pirbright, Daughter
of Sir.B S Phillips. A Lady of Grace of St. John of Jerusalem. Died 26th
- South Panel
- Here lies all that is mortal of a man whose rare gifts of intellect
cultivated to the highest were combined with warmth and largeness of heart
that delighted in doing good, in thinking for others and in ministering
bountifully of his means towards lightening the trials of the poor. He
was endeared to his friends not more by the brilliancy of his gifts than
by the breadth of his sympathies and the largeness of his views. All that
devoted love could do he did to make life happy to her who consecrates
this tablet to his memory. May his name be blessed.
- Sarah Pirbright"
- North Panel
- Educated at Kings College, London (Fellow 1863 taking the
highest honours of his year) called to the Bar at the Inner Temple 1863,
Member of Parliament for Greenwich 1880-85 and for Liverpool (East Toxteth)
1885-95. Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade 1885-86,88 (carrying
the Merchandise Marks and the Railway Rates Acts and other useful measures
through the House of Commons). Under Secretary of State for the Colonies
1888-92. British Plenipotentiary and President of the International Conference
on Sugar Bounties 1888. Created a Privy Councillor 1889. Raised to the
Peerage 1895. Member of the Royal Commission of the Patriotic Fund. President
of the League of Mercy. Author of several scientific and political works.
The Earth and its Mechanism, Englands Policy in the East, The Austro-Hungarian
Empire, Memoirs of Count Beust, etc. "
| West Panel blank|
- East Panel
- "A Baronial coronet and under
- Sexu Femina Ingenio Vir"
- Around the tomb, on the steps, are placed at intervals inscribed
tablets, commemorating relatives of Lord Pirbright, who are buried nearby,
- East Side
- "Constance von Alvensleben
- Born 28th April 1875. Died 10th October 1963"
- North Side
- "Baron Werner von Alvensleben
- Born 27-VII-1912. Died 1-VII-1989
- Princess John zu Loewenstein, née Henriette Jost
- Born 16-1-1908 Died 15-9-1986"
- South Side
- "Prince Leopold Loewenstein
- Born 13-3-1903. Died 6-9-1974"
- West Side
- "Diana Maria Faith
- Princess of Loewenstein Wertheim
- Born 18th December 1921. Died 1st April 1967
- Died as She lived in the Radiance of the Spirit."
- Location H/J 1
- Index to Burials
in the Old Churchyard
- © Copyright by Normandy Historians
All Rights Reserved.